Friday, June 26, 2009

Day Five

After being in Madrid for 4 days, we said goodbye because we were headed to Granada. We woke up and got all our things together, and then made our way to the bus that was to take us to the train station. We all stepped outside of the hostel with our bags and were all shocked by the temperature. If you know Spain in the summer, you know how hot it is. Well this was a different story, it was cold! It was almost as if we were in Houston in December. We made it to the bus stop and waited for about 30 minutes to realize the bus had been there the entire time. Well the bus ride was the usual, I fell asleep. Once at the train station, we all got breakfast and waited to board the 4.5 hour train ride. Thankfully, this time I was next to people. I was expecting to be alone as usual, good thing I wasn't. I had never been on an actual train before so I didn't know what to expect. I was next to Avery, and honestly, I have never met someone who falls asleep in the blink of an eye. One minute she was writing in her journal and the next she was snoring with her mouth open. Not to mention in a  really awkward position, which is why I moved next to Shelby. I fell asleep myself, for only an hour because I got hungry. So Jamie and I went to the cafe in the last "coche" and had cookies, chips, and a coke light. I have to say, I don't know what I would do if there was no "diet coke" here in Spain.  The views during the train ride were spectacular. I wish I had taken pictures. Well, we finally made it to Granada and took a bus to our hostel. We were all looking forward to that night because Tino, the National Geographic Photographer, was coming to work with us for 4 days. Hostel Costa Azul is no hostel, it's more like a hotel it is so nice. The rest of the day was just a chill day, so we just walked around the city. Granada is tons better than Madrid, not that Madrid was bad or anything, Granada is just calmer and tourist friendly. Our hostel is the best location. It is across the street from a fresh fruit store, down the street from a grocery store and also down the street from a ton a restaurants. Tino arrived at around 8 pm and we our first session with him. We showed him some of our pictures we had taken and he told us what he thought of them.  We were able to let him know what our expectations were and what we really wanted to learn about photography. We had a lesson with him until 12:30 am that night and believe me it was so interesting but I had to pinch myself to stay away I was tired. We were finally able to go to bed and await the next day with Tino.

2 comments:

  1. Clark, I finally got with the program and found your daily blogs. It sounds like you are having a good time, despite being hungry and sleepy much of the time, and soaking up lots of art, architecture, food, history, and other aspects of Spanish culture. I hope that your learning a lot about photography with a digital SLR. We will keep reading your daily blogs and keeping up with what your group is doing. Dad

    ReplyDelete