Friday, June 26, 2009

Day Four

For our last day in Madrid, we decided to take a side trip to Toledo. I was really excited about it because I heard the architecture was spectacular. So on Saturday morning, we rise early and make way to the subway, that will take us to the train station. I don't know if you know, but if there is one place you have to be worried about gypsies, it is the subway. We got on the subway and I sat next to Allison but next to some random guy. The guy was really creepy, he was either intoxicated or was just twitchy because he was not acting normal.  I kept my eye on him, don't worry. He kept eyeing my backpack, as if he thought he was going to be able to take it. Ha he was wrong, I quickly put it in my lap and held on to it. At the station, we have time to get some food at the little cafe there.  After having some great pineapple, we make way to wait to the counter to get our tickets. Of course, my seat isn't near anyone; I was in row 5 and everyone was in either 15 or 16. We board the train and I find my seat and get settled in for the long 30 min train ride. Ms. Bottoms was nice enough to come sit by me so I wouldn't be alone, but I ended up catching some z's. We arrive in Toledo in the heart of the morning, no trees and sunny. I thought Madrid was hot? No. We began our hike up the hill to the main area of the city and on the way, I got some amazing pictures. After a couple of hours of walking around, we find a restaurant, I was starving! I got the two most typical spanish plates for the region, I can't recall what they were called, but they were really good! After we lunch, we headed to the Cathedral. The exterior was astonishing. The last supper was sculpted on the structure. I have a picture, no worries. We were planning on going inside, but at the present time it was 2:30 and it closed at 2. We were bummed but the exterior was enough to grasp it. So, we made a new plan. We went to the a church which held El Greco's most famous artwork. I sat inside the church a little while to soak in the atmosphere and it was amazing. We decided to go to another little cathedral, I think that is what it was, and took some pictures. By this time it was around 5 and we were to leave at 7, so the leaders brought us to a square and let us have 2 hours of free time. Avery, Shelby, Brandon, and I all got ice cream, well I got a coca-cola push up icie thing, but it was still just as good.  We walked around to a lot of the stores. Most of the stores had collector swords and guns, it was really interesting. I looked around for some gifts I could possibly get for people, but nothing really appealed to me. It was time to head back to Madrid, so we make our way back to the train station and get on the train back to Madrid. We have a quick dinner at Pans aka Spanish Subway. We ate there the first day and it was not good at all. I decided to get a salad and it actually wasn't too bad. All of us get back to the hostel and pack because we were headed for Granada the next day!

1 comment: